Finding the right industrial space for your business in Singapore is one of the most important decisions that will affect the success of your company. That’s why we’ve come up with a list of important factors when looking for the right industrial space.
The location of your company depends on the nature of business activities you engage in, as the Singapore government has zoning laws that restrict the type of business you can set up in different areas in Singapore.
The URA zones land for industrial activities to help make sure that industrial land remains affordable. Offices and retail shops are generally not allowed on industrial land. The URA requires that an industrial space should use at least 60% of its total floor area for predominant industrial activities.
However, ancillary activities support the primary industrial uses such as office and display area are allowed to take up to 40% of the total floor area of the industrial space.
A landlord can also lease about 10% of the total area to Non-industrial activities such as staff canteens and childcare center.
One of the most important factors you need to consider when searching for an industrial space is its location. It needs to be accessible to your staff if you want to attract top talent, hence having an MRT near your property is something you need to take into account. Amenities such as food courts, malls, and shopping, clinics, and childcare are crucial for staff retention!
Ideally, your industrial space also needs to be near to your suppliers and customers.
For some industries, you may consider a location that is close to supporting industries, for example, aviation companies like to be located in the East due to its proximity to Changi Airport and logistics providers prefer to be situated near the seaports at Jurong.
Your budget will also affect which types of industrial space you will consider renting.
Factors that will determine the cost of rental for your prospective property include
- Size: how much space do you need? Rightsizing the space to be Cost efficient.
- Ground floor: Properties on the ground floor will cost more.
- Air-conditioning: Is air-conditioning ready in place so as to reduce initial capital expenses?
- Property type: Do you need a free-standing building or are you ok with sharing a multi-tenant building? Free-standing buildings are hard to come by for a size that’s less than 30,000 sqft.
You would also need to consider how much renovation the property needs. Is it already fully fitted? Are you taking on an existing space which requires minimum renovation (for example you may only need to re-design the reception to match your corporate image) or will you need to sink in a large amount of cash to make the property usable?
- Specifications: Industrial businesses have certain specifications which you may need to consider, for example:
- Ceiling height: Do you need a high ceiling to store more goods and certain operational requirements?
- Floor loading: The floor load of a building is what it can carry safely calculated in kilonewton per square foot of area. If you handle heavy items or use heavy equipment, you need to make sure the floor loading is sufficient.
- Loading/unloading facilities: Do you need a loading bay?
- Parking: How many parking spaces for cars and commercial vehicles?
- Access for heavy vehicles: If your business uses heavy vehicles, avoid facilities with restricted weight/height/length limits.
- Timeline: You should give yourself around 3 to 9 months to look for an industrial space depending on the size, nature of business and compliance with existing regulations. This period will give you enough time to view properties, negotiate with your landlord, apply for approval from the authorities and renovate if necessary.
Real Estate Consultant: Finding the right consultants to help you locate the Right industrial space for your company’s specific needs is crucial. Industrial property is a specialized niche and renting an industrial space is very different from renting an apartment or even commercial property.
You may want to consider engaging Corporate Visions. Their successful track record has won them accolades, including garnering the Ascendas Top Agency Award for 8 consecutive years. Corporate Visions’ real estate Consultants have the skill set to find the Right Industrial space; they are successfully relocated more than 2000 Industrialists since 2002.